First a Courthouse with a basement jail, then a school, and now a museum.
Built in 1865 and then rebuilt after the 1910 fire that decimated the town of Genoa. In 1916, the county seat was moved to Minden and the courthouse was sold to the Douglas County School District for just $15.00, then was transformed into an elementary school. It served for 40 years as a school before it closed in 1956. In 1969 it was reopened as a museum by the Carson Valley Historical Society.
Today it is a museum with many displays that reflect the history and heritage of the area. Located at 2304 Main Street (at Main and Fifth Streets) in downtown Genoa.
Phone: (775) 782-4325
Daily 10:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m