Mormon Station State Park and Museum
Historic state monument was created to commemorate the trading post burned down in 1910.
For more information about the park and to find out about hours and rentals visit Mormon Station State Historic Park — Nevada Division of State Parks
The Mormon Station Historic Monument sign in front of the park along Jacks Valley Road.
Mormon Station cabin and stockade first buildings in Genoa
The original Reese's trading post burned in the Genoa fire of June 28th, 1910. In 1945, under the instigation of Assembly representative Otto Hussman (1880 - 1951) the Nevada Legislature appropriated $2,500 to help build a replica of the original log cabin. In 1947, another $2,500 was appropriated to begin the construction. The State Highway Department was given the task of researching the design and Edward S. Parsons, Department Architect, was given the specific task of drawing a set of plans based on his own research.
The site of the log cabin/fort property was purchased from the Henry Cordes family and their home moved to their new property near the "first bridge" on Genoa Lane.
As research progressed, photographs were studied with attention paid to landmarks and camera angles. An archeological dig was then made to confirm the site of the old cabin.
Logs were cut close to Genoa and a bare building completed for the allotted $5,000. Logs for the cabin and stockade arrived in August of 1947 and construction began in September. In December of 1947, construction was completed and visitors were allowed to tour the cabin and stockade on weekends throughout the winter. Subsequent appropriations over the years provided electric lighting and display shelves and cases, plus a small section of the stockade fence. Pioneer families donated or loaned documents and artifacts to open the museum.
On September 5, 1957, Douglas County deeded the land and building to the State of Nevada for a Historic State Monument. In the spring of 1964 the stockade fence was extended to enclose the grounds. At this time the monument covered 2-1/2 acres.
Today, the visitor will find a wonderful museum and stockade with indoor and outdoor exhibits pertaining to the history of the "Mormon Station" and Genoa. There are picnic tables, grills, and a large gazebo. The Gazebo is by reservation only and offers running water and electricity. This facility is used often during the summer months for family reunions, weddings, and group occasions. (There is a use fee for group areas.)
Programs and activities take place in the park. Volunteers often assist within the park. The museum and stockade are open Tuesday —Sunday from 10 to 4 p.m, mid-May through mid-October. It is always best to check with the park for schedule changes and fees. Call (775) 782-2590.
Renovations have been taking place (summer of 2007) within the park. New restrooms, a larger office area, and parking. Pack a lunch and enjoy this beautiful State Park. Spread a blanket and relax under a shade tree.
Four (4) rules to remember:
- Pets are allowed in the park. Dogs must be kept on their leashes.
- Do not trespass on adjacent private property.
- All artifacts are protected by State law. Never remove or disturb.
- Do not leave clutter in the Park. There are a trash containers for the visitor's use.